Thursday, December 18, 2008

Feats of strength! And other things they don't tell you about Motherhood

My favorite made up holiday is from, Seinfeld, with the character of George's father's Festivus! A festivus for the rest of of us! I love that episode, so funny. Where George's Dad creates his own holiday and the celebration involved a pole and feats of strength! I adopted that term "feats of strength" as a joke to myself whenever I have to do anything that requires crazy Mommy strength, like grocery shopping with the kids. Mirabel always wants me to carry her so I end up carrying her in one arm and shopping and pushing the cart with the other. When she was a baby she didn't like to ride in the cart either, even in her little infant seat, so I would have to carry her swinging her in her carrier with one arm, and pushing the cart with the other, being careful to switch arms, because I kept imagining one of my arms was going to get a lot bigger than the other one, like the dude in that movie "Lady in the Water".

But the alternative to do these crazy acts of strength, is listening to a baby scream and carry on while I try to shop, which is nearly impossible, especially once they are mobile. But let me just say, before I go any further, that I love my children more than anything in the whole world, even though they probably challenge me physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually every single day more than anyone else either. But that's all right, because I wouldn't have it any other way, and I am so grateful to have them in my life.

As we gear up to the holidays, and I am taking some much needed time off work, and my kids will be home and so will Big Poppa..(my husband's new nickname per his request). I am actually surprised to realize, I haven't taken more than a week off with both my kids ever. That is because I am always working, since I don't get much paid time off. Though I do get a little vaca and holiday pay that I have to finish up before the end of the year so I am using it up! I can tell the kids need a break too, everyone seems burnt out. So I guess we get to have some family bonding time. Hopefully we won't kill each other! Haha..just kidding.

So anyway, I am sure I will be involved with some feats of strength over the course of the next few weeks, but it is what it is. Being a Mom has made me stronger in ways I never thought possible. Plus there are things I have learned how to do that can serve me well the rest of my life I think like sleeping with one eye open, sleeping standing up, growing eyes in the back of my head, and also finding objects at any given notice that have been lost by someone in the house so I guess Xray vision? Ok, well that is it, gotta get some stuff in the kiln..More later..

No comments:

Post a Comment