Thursday, January 29, 2009

Is everything falling apart?

Ok, so things are kind of a mess right now in the economy, let's face it but what can you do? Just have to keep moving forward, doing what I can. What else is there? I am a survivor on many different levels so I know one way or another, I will get through this.

Up at Big Sur

We were almost broke in Santa Cruz
so we booked on up the coast
to Monterey.
We stumble along a steep trail
14 miles to the sulphur springs,
the smell of rotten eggs
hangs thick in the air.

I drink too much
from the tainted canteen
and slowly change into a lizard,
slither down the rocky bank
into the cool, rushing river
and climb up on a rock
in the middle.

Billy Rainbow beckons for me
to come get warm
at the campfire.
I refuse to budge,
“the river might stop!”
I sit swinging my feet
in the cool water
neon colors streaking by
as Indian figures peer
from behind Redwood trees
on the other side, knowing.


© Molly McHaney Krava

No comments:

Post a Comment